Skip to main content

April 14 - 17th Math

Hello,

This week for Math we will be using Prodigy prodigygame.

Prodigy is a Maths game where students answer math questions in order to cast spells and collect points.

I have assigned questions related to Math concepts that we have covered in class. Once those questions have been answered the program chooses appropriate additional questions based on the students ability level.


  • It is important not to give too much support when students are answering the questions otherwise the program will continue to give out even more challenging questions. 
How to help
  • If you notice that they are having trouble with a questions, let them answer but then show them on a piece of paper either what the question is asking or how you might solve the problem.
  • Also near the top of the question there is a prompt button that will give a clue and some math tools such as pens and 100 charts that can also support them.
To prepare for next week please practice Multiplication facts with your child. We will be covering these concepts next week using Google Classroom but it would greatly help them to have a refresher before then.

Grade 3's are expected to have automaticity (3 seconds or less) of questions up to 5 x 5.

Grade 4's are expected to have automaticity (3 seconds or less) of questions up to 7 x 7.
Grade 4's are also expected to have efficient strategies up to 9 x 9 and effective strategies up to 3-digit x 1-digit.


These are the skills we will be covering next week but supporting your child with their fact recall would be very helpful. 
  • verbal questions 
  • cue card practice
  • building representations

 
Area Model Chart Array Model Chart
Equal Groups Chart  Number Line Model
If you have any questions please contact me by email.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 8th

Good morning everyone, I am still in the process of calling everyone and letting you know your new Razkids' login and making sure that you are able to get onto Google Classroom. For the students that I have not called yet, you can go to your gmail and use the link that I sent you to join our Google Classroom. It has been great talking to you. It should be nice today so get out and enjoy a walk to the sunshine.

March 17

Hello, I hope that everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves. Here are some activity suggestions that the CBE sent out https://cbe.ab.ca/programs/curriculum/learning-at-home/Pages/k-6.aspx I will try to send out more information and activity ideas each day. Here is a daily quiz You can post responses and comments to share your answers if you would like

Welcome Back April 6th 2020

Hi everyone, I hope that everybody had a wonderful break. I know that it was not as social as we would have wanted and the weather has not quite met my expectations of spring yet. But we are back! Over the next couple of days I will be contacting each of you to find out how your break has been and how your family is handling the new situation. I will also be asking you other questions: is anything that we can help you or your family with? can we help you get in contact with any community supports? what kind of computer access do you have? do you need paper learning packages? do you know your student email and log in information? do you need your passwords reset? do you need help getting onto D2L/ Google Classroom? is your guardian receiving emails? Once we have all of this information we will be in a much better position to help you learn from home. Thanks to the people who were checking the blog over the break.  For today I will be adding things to the...